Our Iftar Meal Tonight!
VERY easy to make,tastes great,and filling!
1 kilo frozen shrimp
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
2 Cups rice, washed and soaked
1 bushel fresh coriander chopped
3 tsp bezar
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ginger (optional)
4-5 cardamom pods
juice of 1 lemon
1. Rinse the shrimp in cold water. Drain on paper towel. Season well with salt, pepper, and 1 tsp bezar.
2. Heat 1 tbs oil in a pan and fry garlic gently for 1 minute. Add the seasoned shrimp and fry gently until they become opaque but not thoroughly cooked (about 4 minutes). Remove and keep aside.
3. Add 1 tbs oil to the pan and fry the onion till transparent. Add the rest of the bezar and the turmeric and stir-fry for 1 minute.
4. Add the tomatoes, lemon juice, loomi, salt, cardamom pods, and the coriander. Stir over heat for 3 minutes.
5. Add 2 Cups of water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover the pan, and simmer for ten minutes.
6.Add the shrimp to the sauce and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
7. Stir in uncooked rice. Reduce to a very low heat, cover and cook slowly for about 20 minutes or until the rice has absorbed all the liquid.
8. Serve with fresh sliced lemon and onion, tabasco sauce, salad, and dukkous or yougurt.