----------------------ABU DHABI----------------------

Thursday, October 11

Henna,Dates, and Cookies!

The Rocky Road Cookies
Segai Dates
Look at the size and texture
And the Henna :)


So I'm in the middle of cooking Ash(irani soup) right now...It takes around 31/2 hours to make and I'm getting restless...So i took some photos to share with you...


I went to a Ramadan Bizarre at the exhibition center here in my city and found the most AMAZING dates(the edible kind,ha ha) there...We bought ALOT of them and also the usual girlish things such as perfume,bukoor,dresses and purses...It was really fun and to be honest we didn't really spend that much on all of the nice things we bought..al hamdulelah(thanks to God) we had a great time and were able to afford the lovely things we bought...I also received some rocky road cookies from my mother who pigged out on some and couldn't finish them, so Ive posted a pic of them and a recipe!


As you see in the photos, I also went to get the usual Eid Henna decor that the girls in my family get to celebrate Eid...Mine only took 25 minutes to do but the rest of the girls I was with took 3 hours from start to finish for hair,henna,mani,pedi,etc...


Needless to say, I got really BORED waiting and couldn't sit still! I am not a patient person when it comes to beauty treatments and sitting for long hours....So I started walking around,ordering coffee for everyone(the entertainer and hostess in me,lols),peeling my henna before it was ready, annoying my sister(who had both hands and feet done, so she couldn't move, ha ha)...I also played superwoman for a couple seconds when the heater drying my sisters feet started to spark fire, so i dashed under the table to pull its plug out the wall..this salon has MAJOR safety issues I find out!


Overall we had a great time with "all that DRAMA"...


we girls love drama :)



Rocky Road Cookies

recipe from(http://www.godiva.com/recipes/recipe.aspx?id=474)

Yield: About 1 dozen sandwich cookies

Difficulty:Easy

Preparation: 30 minutes plus baking and cooling times

Rocky Road Cookies:

1 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened

1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

1/4 cup granulated sugar

1 large egg, at room temperature

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

1 bar (1.5 ounces each) Godiva Dark Chocolate, coarsely chopped

1 bar (1.5 ounces each) Godiva Solid Ivory,

coarsely choppedMarshmallow


Filling:

12 large marshmallows


Make the rocky road cookies:

Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly butter two baking sheets. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.


Beat butter in large mixing bowl until creamy, using electric mixer at medium speed. Add both sugars and continue beating for 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture is light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat well.
Beat in flour mixture in two additions, using low speed. Stir in walnuts and chopped chocolates. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets, 2 inches apart.
Bake 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes and then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.


Make marshmallow filling:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with foil and butter lightly. Cut each marshmallow into horizontal halves and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 3 minutes or until marshmallows are slightly softened.
Using lightly buttered spatula, remove two marshmallow halves from baking sheet and place on bottom-side of 12 cookies. Top with remaining cookies, top-side-up, and press together to make sandwiches. Serve immediately.


Tip: If you wish, you can fill cookies with marshmallow fluff instead of marshmallows.

4 comments:

Nabeela said...

Sulatana, where do you live? USA? Which state in USA? I'm getting pretty excited about eid too. We have an eid bazar at our local masjid...but I never find anything good! I love California medjool dates...have you ever tried them?

Sultana said...

Hiya Nabeela, I dont live in USA,lols, sorry...
I live in Abu Dhabi,UAE...
To be honest, I was so excited about Ramadan, and I'm really sad its over! Eid is lovley here, what about Cali? I love markets and bizzares, I could spend hours in them! I have heard ALOT about these medjool dates you are talking about, they are from Morocco originally as I understand and VERY delicious!
These that I have photographed are Medina Dates...The best kind!
Thanks for stopping by :)

Nabeela said...

Sultana: I wsn't sure where you lived because you seemed to cook with international ingredients...yet something was amiss!
The medjool dates I'm talking about are the Californian variety. I am sure a Morococn variety exists too...I have had Medina dates when my mom brought some from Saudi. They were indeed delicious! Have a very good and fulfilling eid with family and friends :)

Sultana said...

Hee hee, yah i try so hard to make sure i dont stick to just one kind of food all the time, i like to try different things, but, sometimes what Im familiar with seems safer to me than other things...I hope that i can experiment more like you to be honest! I was looking for your cookbooks here in UAE, i didnt find them yet, but i wont give up!

And to you sweety, have a wonderfully happy and healthy Eid with your family and friends and Best wishes to you for the year to come!