----------------------ABU DHABI----------------------

Saturday, November 3

Recipe for Uzbek Samboosa Bread

Sorry it took me so long for those of you who requested it! I had to request the exact ingrediants from my friend who actually is the one who made these...I just just sat watching and snapped pics to be honest!

so she says:

For about 15 med samboosas youll need:

2 cups flour
2 tbs salt dissolved in enough water to make a soft dough
1 egg

mix it all together and knead it, let it rest to minutes covered, then seperate in half and make each round and flat with a LONG stick...AHEM, we used a mop handle...then follow the steps in the pics I had posted for the Uzbek samboosas found here:
http://sultanaspalate.blogspot.com/2007_10_01_archive.html#4142554683279758995


For anything else I KNOW I have forgotten to write about the recipe please check the questions below. Im really sorry for not writing these things down before!

I have a couple of follow-up questions. Based on the pics with the demo. When the dough is then cut into small pieces, is it then rolled out again and curled into a spiral as shown in the pic with the bowl? When the dough is cut into small pieces it is then twisted into spirals and then immedialtey flattened into small circles:one twisted piece = one flat circle. There is no need to let the dough rest at this point, if you like to, you can.

Once rolled and the suffing placed in the center, how is the dough encased? In other words, so I just fold over? or what? Once the filling is placed inside you can fold it anyway you like to be honest. We made triangles and squares so we would know which was meat and which was pumpkin filling.

Is it the egg that she brushes the finished Samboosas with? and are the samboosas baked or fried and at what temperature? and for how long? Firstly I just want to say I feel like such an Idiot for forgetting to write this in my post! I think its the long hours I have in "school" that are getting to me! There are 2 eggs. The first is for the dough as stated in the recipe, and the second is only the yolk for brushing over the samboosas. These samboosas are baked until they turn brown on top. Im not sure about the temp because I have an electric oven and I had to fluctuate the temperature btwn 160c and 200c, and 200 was a bit to hot...You can use your judgement on this part, and just bake till browned on top.


What is it that is rubbed on the dough after the first rolling (the big circle?) and is anything rubbed again, when the little cut pieces are rolled out flat and the spiralled? A mixture of butter and ghee was rubbed into each rounded piece only before rolling it into the long thin piece...You only need about 1 tbs of this mixture for each round.

3 comments:

esra(büyüleyenmutfak) said...

mmmmmmmmmmm
wonderfull things

Cynthia said...

Hi Sultana, how are you?

I have a couple of follow-up questions. Based on the pics with the demo. When the dough is then cut into small pieces, is it then rolled out again and curled into a spiral as shown in the pic with the bowl?

Do you let the dough rest again once it's rolled like that? If so, for how long?

Once rolled and the suffing placed in the center, how is the dough encased? In other words, so I just fold over? or what?

Is it the egg that she brushes the finished Samboosas with? and are the samboosas baked or fried and at what temperature? and for how long?

What is it that is rubbed on the dough after the first rolling (the big circle?) and is anything rubbed again, when the little cut pieces are rolled out flat and the spiralled?

I'd like to try this recipe and would appreciate your help in answering these questions. Thanks.

You can email your answers to me at: tasteslikehome@gmail.com

Sultana said...

esra: Thank you very much :)

cynthia: Ive emailed you, you should recieve it shortly.